Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions
picture 2What is the earliest semester I can study abroad?
The earliest you can study abroad is the summer after your freshman year.
For a semester abroad, the earliest you can study abroad is the first semester of your sophomore year. Note that some study abroad programs do require that you are in your junior year. 
Will I graduate on time if I study abroad?
There is no reason that you should not graduate on time if you have your courses approved and pass those courses abroad. This assumes that you have engaged in careful academic planning - figuring our which courses you need to take at the University of Scranton prior to and after studying abroad. 
Will the classes I take abroad transfer back to the University of Scranton?
As long as the classes you take abroad have been approved and you pass them with at least the equivalent of a “C”, the credits earned will transfer. 
When do students go abroad?
Students must meet with their academic advisors to discuss the best time to go abroad.  Study abroad semesters are often possible during the fall or spring of your sophomore year, fall or spring of your junior year, or fall semester of your senior year.  Summer and January session study abroad programs are popular as well.
Do I need to speak another language in order to study abroad?
No, you do not need to speak another language in order to study abroad. There are many study abroad sites in non-English speaking countries that teach their courses in English. There are some destinations that do require you to speak the host country language.
What grade-point average do I need in order to study abroad?
You generally need at least a 2.8 GPA in order to study abroad.  Some programs may require a GPA of 3.3 or higher. 
Will the grades I earn abroad be calculated into my GPA?
The only grades earned abroad that are used in calculating your GPA are courses led and taught by University of Scranton faculty members. All other study abroad program grades are not factored into your GPA.
Can Pre-Med students study abroad?
Pre-Med, Pre-Vet and Pre-Dental students may study abroad. Requirements such as MCAT's and specific course requirements make it imperative that you meet and consult with the Pre-Med Advisor as early on in your career at the University as possible. 
Can Honors, SJLA or Business Leadership students study abroad?
Students who are SJLA, Honors and Business Leadership routinely study abroad. It is imperative that you consult with the director of your program as soon as possible to determine how to schedule your program specific courses at the University and to plan which courses to take abroad.
Honors students should consult with Dr. Joe Kraus, SJLA students should meet with Dr. Dan Haggerty and Business Leadership students should meet with Dr.Rob McKeage.
Can Nursing students study abroad?
Nursing students who wish to study abroad for a semester may do so only during the second semester of their sophomore year. It is critically important that Nursing students meet with their advisor during their freshman year to plan their Nursing coursework prior to and upon return from studying abroad. The Nursing Department has devised a very specific schedule for Nursing students studying abroad for the semester. If you are a Nursing student who wishes to study abroad during a summer or intersession, then the planning is not quite so critical.

When can OT majors study abroad?
OT majors should consult their academic advisor in PCPS to determine which summer or intersession study abroad program would be best for them. 
Can I study abroad if I am a transfer student?
You may study abroad if you have completed at least 60 credits with at least 15 credits in residence at the University of Scranton.
How long can I study abroad?
You may study abroad for as long as an academic year or as short as two weeks on a University of Scranton faculty led study abroad program. Most students tend to study abroad for one semester.
How much does it cost to study abroad?
When calculating the costs of studying abroad, there are a number of factors to consider. You will be paying for tuition, room, board, travel, books, personal expenses etc.: much as you would here at the University of Scranton. If you study abroad for a semester or an academic year, your tuition will be the same as it is here at the University of Scranton. If you study abroad for an intersession or summer session, you will pay the tuition fees set by the study abroad program. 
The costs of living and traveling will vary depending on where you are planning to go. Generally speaking, room and board costs are not any more than they are here at the University of Scranton.  
Can I use my financial aid and scholarships when I study abroad? 
Yes, you may use your financial aid and scholarship for studying abroad as long as you study abroad during the academic year – a fall or spring semester. If you are a Presidential scholar, you may also use your scholarship for University of Scranton faculty led study abroad programs during the intersession and/or summer session. If you have more specific questions regarding financial aid and studying abroad please contact the Financial Aid Office.
When do you apply for studying abroad?
You complete applications to study abroad at the being of the semester prior to studying abroad. Generally speaking, the application deadline for spring semester and intersession abroad is October 1st and the application deadline for the summer session, fall semester or academic year abroad is April 1st. You will complete two applications: one for the University of Scranton and one for the university or program abroad.  However, the partner program abroad may have an earlier deadline than Scranton, so you must pay attention to their application deadlines. 
Do I need a passport or visa to study abroad?
You will need a current passport in order to study abroad, regardless of destination. You will need to make sure that your passport is valid for your time abroad and extending several months after you return. In some instances you will also be required to secure a student visa which gives you permission to have an extended stay in your host country. Visa requirements vary from country to country.
Will I need to have immunizations or vaccinations in order to study abroad?
There are some study abroad destinations that require you have certain vaccinations or immunizations. The Office of Global Education recommends that you review the travel medicine recommendations on the Center for Disease Control (CDC) website: Traveler's Health.
Can I drive while I am studying abroad?
As long as you have proper documentation and insurance, you may drive while you are abroad. The University of Scranton however, recommends that you use public transportation rather than renting or purchasing a car.
Can students study in more than one country?
Students can and have studied abroad in more than one country. While it is not all that common, some students will study in two different countries over two different semesters to develop specific linguistic abilities. It is important to begin planning such an experience as soon as possible.
How many credits can I earn while studying abroad?
You are required to take a minimum of 12 credits for a semester abroad and 3 credits for an intersession or summer session abroad. Some study abroad programs allow students to take as many as 18 credits. On average, University of Scranton students take 15 credits during the course of a semester abroad.
Can all majors study abroad?
Students from all majors may study abroad. To a certain extent, your major will determine how long and where you can study abroad. Some majors, such as Occupational Therapy, can only study abroad during the summer or intersession. If your major is highly structured you might find that you are limited to studying in countries that offer courses in your major in order to stay on track to graduate.
What happens if I get sick abroad?
All students are enrolled in a health insurance plan prior to departing the United States. The health insurance policy grants access to a network of physicians and health care professionals as well as clinics and hospitals at your study abroad destination. In the event you require emergency medical evacuation, the insurance plan covers the evacuation. 
Where do I live when I study abroad?
Your residence abroad will depend on where you are studying. Some students reside with families and other live in residence halls or student apartments.
What kinds of classes can I take abroad?
The classes you wind up taking abroad is determined in part by your major and your academic planning. For the most part, students take courses that count as electives and are not taught at the University of Scranton. Students may also take courses in their major.
Can I work while I am studying abroad?
In most study abroad destinations it will be illegal for you to work without a permit. The University of Scranton does not recommend that you work while abroad. If you are working illegally, the penalties of being caught can be stiff; it isn’t worth the risk.
Can I receive Writing Intensive Credit for a course abroad?
While not a common practice, it is in theory possible. The Associate Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences will determine whether or not a course will receive Writing Intensive Credit.
Can I receive Cultural Diversity Credit while studying abroad?
If you spend a semester abroad, you will fill one Diversity requirement. If you study abroad for two semesters, you will fill both Diversity requirements.