Skip to content

Types of Study Abroad Programs

Semester Study Abroad Programs 

pictureDirect Enrollment Programs

  • Type of Program: Direct enrollment as a student in a foreign university. The University of Scranton has close working relationships with these universities and in some cases has student exchange programs in place.
  • Language: Classes are often offered in the host language, including non-English speaking countries.
  • Student Population: The majority of students are from the host country.

Sponsored Study Abroad Programs

  • Type of Program: Partnership with organization or American university that sponsors study abroad programs. These programs often have their own campuses or utilize facilities and/or faculty from a foreign university.
  • Language: Classes are offered either in English, in the host country language, or a combination of both.
  • Student Population: The majority of students are from the United States.

Special International Student Programs

  • Type of Program: Organized for international students by foreign universities. These programs are generally offered in non-English speaking countries and are taught by faculty from the university sponsoring the program in English.
  • Language: Many programs offer classes in both English and the host country language.
  • Student Population: The majority of students are native English speakers, however, it is not unusual to find students from the host country taking advantage of classes taught in English.

Summer Study Abroad Programs and Intersession Study Abroad Programs
There are a number of options you have if you want to study for a shorter period of study than a semester.

  • Partner programs: Most summer and intersession study abroad programs are offered by private study abroad providers or by other American universities that work collaboratively with the University of Scranton.   Below is a list of Summer 2023 courses offered by programs that have been popular with Scranton students in recent summer terms.  
Please note that there are many other partners available beyond those in this list, with other courses offered.  You can search all programs through the 'Programs' page of our website and find the courses through the partner's homepage. 
  • University of Scranton Faculty Led Study Abroad Programs: Faculty led study abroad programs take place during intersession, spring break and summer sessions. Typically, the study abroad program consists of a three credit class that is led and taught by a University faculty member and has a duration 1½ to 4 weeks. Some classes are taught entirely abroad while some consist of a combination of class meetings at the University of Scranton in addition to the time spent abroad. All travel and accommodation arrangements are made by the faculty program leader. To date, faculty led study abroad programs have taken students to Ireland, England, China, Spain, Italy, Mexico, Peru, Uganda, Costa Rica, Greece, the Philippines, and Rwanda.

Internship and Service Learning Programs
Some of the University of Scranton partners in international education include internships or service learning as part of the study abroad program. Look for Internship and Service Learning designations on the approved list of study abroad programs if you are interested.